Aim of the Indicators TG is to develop an active programme of research and generation of best practice (linked with TG Best Practice / DRIS) in the use of indicators (scientometrics, bibliometrics) for evaluating research. The TG will develop a catalogue of known methods with appropriate analysis of their effectiveness and efficiency. The expected output is CERIF-compliant software services (jointly with the CERIF and Architecture TG) to perform evaluation of research including for commonly used national or international methods.
- Start up of an inventory of relevant indicators
- Participation on the CERIF-ying of the first version of the Snowball Metrics.
- Continue to build up an inventory of relevant indicators
- Look at new recipes added to second edition of Snowball Metrics recipe book and consider how/whether these can be expressed in CERIF
- Work in partnership with CASRAI group currently aiming to express Snowball Metrics in CASRAI format
- Consider the current work in the US on STAR METRICS (likely again in partnership with CASRAI), and where these sit alongside Snowball Metrics
- Examine the use of indicators in national research assessments
- Evaluate the current commercial tools available for calculation of metrics
- Determine on which areas the Task Group should next focus, e.g. Altmetrics, Impact